Long Island University, founded in 1926, continues to redefine higher education, providing high quality academic instruction by world-class faculty. Recognized by Forbes for its emphasis on experiential learning and by the Brookings Institution for its “value added” to student outcomes, LIU offers nearly 250 degree programs, with a network of over 280,000 alumni that includes industry leaders and entrepreneurs across the globe.
LIU Brooklyn enables students to realize their full potential as ethically grounded, intellectually vigorous, and socially responsible global citizens. The campus offers more professional programs in health care than any other campus in the New York metropolitan area, including the Arnold and Marie Schwartz College of Pharmacy & Health Science, and The Harriet Rothkopf Heilbrunn School of Nursing. LIU Brooklyn is home to Kumble Theater for the Performing Arts, a dynamic performance venue designed to nourish students’ artistic exploration, and Division I sports teams.
LIU Post is a scenic, historic, and scholarly campus that offers a small-school environment with the access and resources of a major metropolitan university. The University's 330-acre campus is located on the estate of Marjorie Merriweather Post, 27 miles east of New York City on Long Island's Gold Coast. The campus houses the College of Veterinary Medicine, the first professional School of Accountancy, an AACSB-accredited Business School, and an award-winning theater program. LIU is home to the world-renowned Tilles Center for the Performing Arts and the Bethpage Federal Credit Union Stadium, where supporters gather to cheer on the Sharks’ Division I athletic program.
LIU Global offers a one-of-a-kind bachelor’s degree around the globe. It spans eight countries on five continents, preparing students for careers as global leaders in business, policy, humanitarian relief, social entrepreneurship, economic development, and environmental sustainability.
From the shores of Long Island, to the epicenter of business and tech innovation in Brooklyn, to the far corners of the world, LIU offers a unique college experience for every student seeking academic enrichment and professional opportunity. Upon graduation, our students join a community of more than 280,000 alumni to become global leaders in fields that include the arts, health sciences, media, education, pharmacy, business, technology, public service, and professional sports.
Long Island University’s motto is Urbi et Orbi – “To the City and to the World.”
Awards and Accolades
- Long Island University is a U.S. News & World Report Best National University
- Long Island University is ranked a Best Northeastern Regional College by The Princeton Review
- Long Island University has been named to the President’s Community Service Honor Roll
- Long Island University is ranked a Top 50 College in New York for Salary Potential by Payscale.com
- Long Island University has been named to U.S. Veterans Magazine’s list of “Top Veteran-Friendly Schools"
- Long Island University was awarded as a Yellow Ribbon School for veterans support by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs
- Long Island University's Business, Education, and Nursing programs have been honored by Colleges of Distinction, recognizing the quality of LIU's programs and its professional accreditation
- Long Island University's nursing; healthcare; dietetics & clinical nutrition services; and homeland security, law enforcement & firefighting programs are among the top 5% highest paid graduates in America by CollegeFactual.com
- Long Island University is a Best Value College by Niche.com
- LIU Post is in the AACSB-accredited top 5% of Business Schools internationally
- LIU Post's School of Business has been named to The Princeton Review's list of "The Best Business Schools" for 18 consecutive years
- LIU Post is a Best College of Business by Niche.com
- LIU Post's The Post Theatre Company has won 20 Kennedy Center American College Theatre Awards
- LIU Brooklyn is ranked as a Best School for Nursing and Health Care Majors by Salary Potential by Payscale.com
- LIU Brooklyn was ranked a Best School for Physical Therapy by Schools.com
- LIU Brooklyn is a Best College for Nursing and a Best College of Kinesiology and Physical Therapy by Niche.com
- LIU Brookyn's campus was ranked third safest in the nation and safest in New York City by The Daily Beast
In addition to university-wide accreditation by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, LIU’s schools, colleges, and individual degree programs are recognized by many specialized accreditation boards, including the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education, the American Psychological Association Commission on Accreditation, the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, and the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International.
488 full-time professors teach at LIU, with a significant majority holding the highest degree in their respective fields. The faculty includes numerous Fulbright Scholars, and in 2014, LIU was one of just nine master’s institutions nationwide to have four Fulbright professors teaching abroad. LIU’s faculty also includes Academy Award winners, prominent journalists, award-winning authors, leading scientists whose research has contributed to significant medical advances, and many more experienced and accomplished professionals.
Total Enrollment: Over 15,000
Student-Faculty Ratio: 11:1
LIU has an active network of more than 280,000 alumni, including leaders and innovators in industries across the globe. Learn more about our notable alumni.
Colors: Blue and Gold
National Affiliation: NCAA Division I
Conference: Northeast Conference (NEC)