Sewickley Valley YMCA was formed on April 1, 1894. In December 1894, a lease was made with the First National Bank (the current Citizens Bank site) for the second and third floor, the second being used for an office, reading rooms, parlor and assembly room; and the third devoted entirely to a gymnasium. During the first year, 322 members were served.
In the past decade, the need for quality, affordable child care became apparent and the YMCA responded with a complete child care service and the establishment of the Y’s new preschool, the Children’s Center for Creative Learning at Edgeworth Elementary School. The Y also expanded its service areas to include not only the Quaker Valley School District, by the school districts of the Moon Area, Cornell, and Ambridge.
The Y reaches out to numerous community organizations providing leadership and facility usage, serving 11,000 members today. Throughout it entire history, the Y has maintained a policy of never turning away a person because of his/her inability to pay.